This post contains affiliate links.
If you’re planning a photo session this spring or summer, this post is for you! I’ll be linking some of my favorite dresses for photo sessions from Amazon below. When guiding clients in choosing dresses for there are 3 elements I recommend considering:
1) Dresses with light colors
Believe it or not, the clothes you choose for your session actually have a large impact on the feel of your portraits. Many of my clients choose to work with me because they love my light and airy style and creamy skin tones. Go ahead and take a look at my grid. Do you see how white and pastel clothing overall aids in the consistently light feel of my portraits? No matter what lighting and setting I place my subject in, if she wears a dark color like black or navy, the overall photo will automatically feel darker. Another bonus of light colored clothing? It helps bounce light back into your face for those bright, creamy skin tones.
2) Avoid Bold Prints
I want you, your face, to be the focus of your portrait, not your clothes. Therefore I recommend staying away from clothes with bold prints. Soft subtle prints or solid color dresses prove less distracting and keep the focus on your bright eyes and shining smile.
3) Get Dressy!
It’s not everyday that you get your portrait taken. Don’t be afraid to put your best foot forward and go dressy! Wearing a dress you feel confident in is a great way to elevate the overall feel of your portrait and they can bring really fun movement into your photos.
Believe it or not, the dresses from some of my favorite sessions won’t break the bank and can be found on Amazon in a variety of colors!
- Amazon’s R.Vivimos Vintage dress is one of my personal favorites! Seriously, I love this dress! It made it onto our family Christmas card this year. This dress can even be used for maternity shoots. It brings such a dreamy, romantic feel to photo sessions and is flattering on a variety of body types. It can be purchased in long sleeves and half sleeves in a variety of “light and airy” colors. https://amzn.to/35TWzGC
- Bdcoco Floral Lace Dress is another beautiful option that can be worn for maternity and non-maternity sessions. The lace details photograph very well and give nice texture to your photos. Do note that lighter versions of this dress may require a slip underneath. https://amzn.to/3u5v9aN
- Looking for something a little more youthful? I loved how Fancyinn’s Tiered Mini Dress photographed during this senior portrait session. https://amzn.to/3qRRXZc
- Maybe you’d prefer a dress with fun details? Checkout Zattcas Swiss Dot Smocked Dress. This dress comes in long sleeves and short flutter sleeves and can be a great option for spring weather. https://amzn.to/3KaBVRO
For more information about booking your own Chattanooga photography session with Kelley, click here.
Be the first to comment